Friday, October 10, 2008

Competency 6c: Successive Fractions in ASC

Inverting the specific facet approach above and now starting with a very broad topic to narrow, I begin by searching on academic or scholarly and am able to quickly narrow that down. One of my favorite parts about searching in ASC is the search box hovers in its own frame above my results, making the successive searches very easy.

S1 = Academic or Scholarly = 152432 hits

S1 + information commons = 35 hits (wow)

The results are immediately relevant:
1. Transforming Library Service through Information Commons: Case Studies for the Digital Age. By: Malone, Andrea. Journal of Academic Librarianship, Sep2008, Vol. 34 Issue 5, p456-456, 1/2p; (AN 34609516)


2. Social, Intellectual, and Cultural Spaces: Creating Compelling Library Environments for the Digital Age.Preview By: Dewey, Barbara I.. Journal of Library Administration, 2008, Vol. 48 Issue 1, p85-94, 10p; (AN 34160333)

This particular exercise produced amazing results. I was able to very quickly find a very workable set of results (35 hits) after only two short steps. I would consider it to be the best of both worlds comparing the specific facet first and the building block search methods we've already explored. I can see using this method very frequently in the future and it seems easily applicable to most databases.

No comments: