Friday, October 10, 2008

Competency 6a: Building Block Search in ERIC

This is a Building Block Search I performed in ERIC. I was definitely happy with the quality of the results, especially the item from SPARC. 3-4 more hits down in my search I found less quantitative works and some more subjective or qualitative articles. . .luckily a lot of people have a lot of strong opinions about free content so that helps!

S1: academic or scholar*
S2: journal or periodical
S3: open access or open source or free publi*

S1 + S2+ S3 = (academic or scholar*) AND (journal or periodical) AND (open access or open source or free publi*)

Results in full text found 91 records. Here are my first two hits:

80% 1

Peek, R. SPARC Europe Seal Clarifies Legal Rights on OA Journals. Information Today v. 25 no. 6 (June 2008) p. 19-20

80% 2

Dennis, A. D. The impact of the open access movement on medical based scholarly publishing in Nigeria. First Monday (Online) v. 12 no. 10 (October 1 2007)



The Building Block strategy is incredibly efficient at catching a wide net of workable results for a search. By expanding each facet into similar terms and employing the use of synonyms, I was able to significantly expand my query.

No comments: