Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Competency 8: Multimedia



For Competency 8, I used the Creative Commons Search function to search for multimedia content. I did a search for filmmaker Jesse Dylan and used the blip.tv tab to find content. Jesse Dylan recently created a video called "A Shared Culture" which contains portions of interviews with CC board members who each explain some of the theory behind the Creative Commons. I felt that this video would be a fitting multimedia item related to my topic of open access in scholarly publications because it sheds light on the idea of a creative culture being more about community and less about content. I think this is a novel idea when it comes to the academic publishing community, as very often the peripheral content of a published work (namely, the journal title in which it appears) is considered with as much weight as the knowledge within the article itself.

A Shared Culture by Jesse Dylan is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike (CC BY-NC-SA) license.

No comments: